Pre-Op & Post-Op Instructions
- If your procedure is being done under sedation or general anesthesia, do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before surgery. Surgery will be canceled if you do eat or drink. You may brush your teeth and rinse your mouth the morning of surgery. If your procedure is done under local anesthesia, without sedation, you may have a light meal and continue to drink liquids.
- Daily important medications such as heart, thyroid, seizure or blood pressure should be taken with a sip of water at their usual times. Ask us about diabetes medications to ensure your safety. Please review all your prescribed medications with us, to determine which medications may need to be stopped prior to surgery.
- Aspirin and Ibuprofen, which are commonly used over the counter pain medications, can increase the risk of bleeding and should be avoided for two weeks prior to surgery. Examples of these medication include: Motrin, Anacin, Dristan, Percodan, Excedrin, Alka-Seltzer, Bufferin, Feldene, Advil, Nuprin, Naprosyn, Anaprox, Indocin, Dolobid, Clinoril or Fiorinal. Many vitamins and herbal supplements such as Vitamin E, Ginko Biloba, Garlic, Ginseng, can increase the risk of bleeding. Tylenol (acetaminophen) is safe and can be taken up to the day prior to surgery.
- If you smoke, it is best that you stop completely. At the very least, abstain for at least 14 days prior to surgery. Smoking causes poor wound healing, excessive scarring and respiratory complications.
- Do not drink any alcohol for 3 days prior to surgery.
- Do not wear make-up/nail polish on the day of surgery. Leave jewelry and money home.
- Please shower or bathe with an antibacterial soap either the night before or the morning of surgery. Do not apply moisturizers or skin conditioners of any kind.
- Plan for someone to escort you home after the procedure. It is advisable to have someone remain with you the first night after surgery.
- All indicated laboratory tests must be completed within 10 days of your surgery date. If you do not have all the required tests your surgery will be canceled. Fax results to 212-339-9944.
- Please arrive at the surgical facility 11/2 hours before your scheduled surgery time. Bring something to read in case there are delays. If the procedure is to be performed in the office, arrive at the scheduled time.
- Wear comfortable clothing. A button down, loose fitting shirt is best; no pullovers.