When you were younger, everything about you was so cute. Every baby is cute. Sometimes disproportionate attributes can be so adorable. Have you seen the article in LIVESCIENCE called “Kids Whose Ears Stick Out Are Cuter, Science Confirms.”? Sometimes, babies are born with large or protruding ears and everyone announces, “they’re so cute, he’ll grow into them one day.”
Now that you’re an adult, have you grown into your ears yet? One ear issue you may not have outgrown is protruding ears. Did your prominent or protruding ears trigger teasing in your teens? This teasing can lead to emotional stress. As you get older, your prominent or protruding ears can have negative impact on your quality of life or job performance. They may also result in social avoidance and a loss of self-confidence.
Common Characteristics of Protruding Ears
- Your ears stick out more than 2 cm from the side of your head.
- An underdeveloped antithetical fold causes them.
- Your outer rim (helix) is not formed correctly.
- You have a deep concha, the bowl-shaped space just outside the opening of the ear canal, which pushes your ear away from the side of your head.
- It is usually not associated with hearing loss.
If you’re interested in ear pinning surgery contact Dr. Khosh for more information about this type of procedure. Otoplasty or ear reshaping is an ear surgery that allows correction of these ear abnormalities, including ear pinning for protruding ears. Call and make your appointment today.